Baked Strawberry Yellow Cupcakes (with Kefir frosting!!)
Jesse has been asking me to make him cupcakes for several weeks and I was feeling pretty awful that I hadn't yet so I needed to do something to wow him. Jesse has also been trying to do a gluten free diet to see if it will help with his light sensitivity...gluten free is not my area of expertise. Thankfully Jesse had a springboard for my creativity already determined: King Arthur Flour gluten free yellow cupcake mix!
The texture of this flour was very entertaining. It was sort of how you would imagine handling a package of fairy dust would feel. It was odd. It also makes some very delicious cupcakes! The way these became really magic though was with fresh strawberries. So lets talk ingredients and directions.
Ingredients: (for cupcakes)
- 1 box King Arthur Flour Gluten free yellow cake mix.
- 1/2 cup lactose free "butter"
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup lactose free milk
- 24 fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Fill the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and slightly grease the top
- Put the butter and oil together in an electric mixer bowl and beat together.
- Mix in about half of the cupcake mix. Switch to the lowest speed and add the eggs one at a time and mix until completely blended.
- Add 1/3 of the milk, mix, scrape bowl, add 1/3 of the remaining mix, mix, scrape bowl & repeat until everything is added.
- Rinse off your strawberries and remove the green tops.
- Pour the cake mix into the cupcake liners until just barely more than half full.
- Carefully place a strawberry in the center (choose a size or cut down to a size that will be just barely showing above the cake mix once placed)
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool before handling (about 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup lactose free "butter" at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons kefir (depending on the consistency that you want)
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time until crumbly
- Add the vanilla and mix briefly
- Run the mixer on medium and add the kefir 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- FROST THE CUPCAKES!
Like Lactarded on Facebook and follow on Twitter @lac_tarded
As of 30 minutes ago I'm on a two week break from school between classes. WAHOO!! Hopefully that will mean cooking and baking activities will increase which also hopefully means blogging will increase!!
Here are some gratuitous photos of Ghost puppy: