Sweet Turkey Sausage & Kale Soup
Yesterday I got it into my head that I wanted to make soup, specifically kale soup because it seems to be the kind of in thing lately. I have never had kale before so I was a little worried about picking a recipe. As I was meandering through blogs and recipes it started to snow those big white soft flakes and it was just so beautiful. I was sitting on my couch, in front of the pellet stove and drinking my coffee when I came across this one blog that was BASHING my beloved snow! It's a great blog even if the writer is a bit confused about snow ;) Wine and Glue
Jesse and I were also planning on going to the gym after he got done with work so I figured this recipe would be great since it was so high in protein. After getting our sweat on we picked up the ingredients, came home, cranked the music up and I started cooking & dancing in the kitchen! This didn't take very long at all to make especially considering how distracting singing and dancing is haha.
- 1.25lb Lean Sweat Italian Sausage
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small sweet white onion
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/4 tsp of grated nutmeg
- 32oz of chicken broth
- 1 cup whole wheat noodles
- 1 (15oz) can Northern Beans
Directions: (This recipe is adapted)
- Wash Kale, remove stems and discard. Shred kale leaves and set aside.
- Open beans and empty into strainer, rinse and set aside.
- Chop up onions, set aside.
- Take a larger pot and grease with olive oil.
- Remove the sausage meat from its casings and cook in pot until almost all of the pink is gone, remember to stir occasionally.
- Add red pepper, garlic and onion and cook until onions become tender.
- Now add the kale, nutmeg and season with sea salt and pepper. Cook until kale begins to look "wilted."
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the noodles and cook per package directions (stirring frequently), about 2 minutes shy of complete..
- Add the beans and cook until beans are warmed through (about the 2 remaining minutes)
- Serve and enjoy!
Anyway, this is a very very tasty soup, I was pleasantly surprised! As I mentioned earlier I was skeptical about the kale thing but now I'm completely into it. I don't know how it would go over in salad or anything but it is definitely very good in this soup.
So on the snowy day where I was feeling like I was battling a little cold this was the perfect way to end it. Snuggled on the couch, in front of the pellet stove with husband.
Give this one a try and let me know how you liked it! Comment below!