In my opinion nothing is more important than good sleep, which if you have ever worked night shift you know is very hard to get during the day. My room is COMPLETELY blacked out, I have a sound machine, I do relaxation exercises, nice mattress and pillow that keeps my posture and me super comfy and I have the AC going at all times to keep it a nice cool temp...still I wake up every 2 hours until I give up around 2 (which is the equivalent to waking up at 2 am!!!). I even at times take Ambien but EVEN THEN I don't get 8hours...and I'm a girl who needs her 8hrs.
So via Pinterest I came across this smoothie called the Sleep Slim Smoothie. I of course tweaked it because I can't help myself.
- 1 cup tart cherry juice (rich source of melatonin - the sleep hormone! and helps reverse aging! WOAH I LOVE CHERRIES EVEN MORE NOW!)
- 1/2 banana (high in magnesium which apparently helps you to relax!)
btw I have already drank the smoothie and I am having a SUPER hard time staying awake...this is awesome
- 4oz almond yogurt (So this was just because I already had it, come to find out if you use soy it will contain tryptophan which is a sleep causing amino acid...so kind of like eating turkey)
- 1/2 cup Lactaid Whole Milk (Again, if you use soy that equals tryptophan.) I've started using whole milk in everything because I read a study that says our body knows how to deal with whole milk better than skim so it actually helps us to maintain weight).
I'm a nurse, I read about this stuff...I'm not really as weight obsessed as I sound right now. Seriously. I ate 4 Reese's dark chocolate peanut butter cups last night.
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (I think this is just for taste)
- Combine, blend, pour, drink, SLEEP!
Let me know how it goes for you! Seems to be working for me! I'm not even going to re-read this post. I'm just shooting it out the world and then crawling under the sheets for some heavy Zzz. Work again tonight!
Oh yeah...it makes a lot. I will probably only drink half next time and save some in the fridge for the following night.