Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind then it doesn't matter." - Sally C. (mom-in-law!)
While preparing dinner for Saturday night I received some really great advice from my mother in law. I think the above quote is not only funny but so very wise. As someone who has generalized anxiety and tends to stress about EVERYTHING I will be adopting this as my mantra!
One of the things I stressed over recently were these Kabobs...even though they were super easy. I have never made a kabob anything before and I had no idea if I was doing it right...is there a "right?" So not knowing if there was a "right" way I just plowed ahead and did it my way! Here is where I found the recipe: Grocery Budget 101...I didn't follow it exactly so below is my version.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 table spoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
- pineapple chunks (canned, in 100% pineapple juice)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- leftover marinade
- Soak the skewers in water...I forgot to do this and the ends of my skewers were...um...a little charred!
- Cut chicken into 2 in pieces and place a dish you can marinate them, apparently there are actual marinating dishes but I just used tupperware. It worked fine.
- In a bowl combine: soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, ginger and garlic. Whisk all of this together until well combined.
- Pour over the chicken.
- 2 or less hours before you're ready to grill add the pineapple chunks to marinade and chicken. Make sure the marinade is all slathered over everything!
- Spear your pineapple and chicken chunks with a skewer and grill!!!
Easy peasy lemon squeezey!!
Luckily I had a good grill master. Jesse is great with his grill, even after he has had a couple of drinks. I on the other hand would probably have struggled. Between our combined efforts the chicken came out juicy and delicious!
Getting down to the wire with the wedding and I had a moment of realization that it is almost here when this arrived today! There has been so much waiting for this day to come that it feels like it is far away...but September 15th is not far away AT ALL! When I opened this earlier I started laughing and crying. Laughing with excitement and crying with emotion. I'm fairly certain Jesse thinks I'm insane but I'm 100% certain he is okay with it. After the wedding I'll tell you what it is. Or you can go here to this lovely Etsy store: Red Bird Designs LOVE!!!!