Blueberry Lime Pie!
A little shocked at the combo? That's because it's shocking! My tongue was shocked (in a good way) every single time I took a bite. My eyes saw blueberry pie and my tongue tasted blueberry with a tingle of lime! We devoured this pie. The original recipe from this month's Self magazine was supposed to have meringue on top...but I utterly failed at this. Hopefully the next time I try I will be able to use the tips I got from my friend Stephanie to make it happen.
...wish I had more of this pie to eat right now...
- DIY crust from previous post!
- 4 cups (or 2 pints) blueberries (thawed if you used the frozen kind like I did)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca (my alteration)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I'm proud to say I actually squeezed a lime for this!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of Earth Balance butter replacement to do the pie with (optional, I didn't do this)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Toss together (in a large bowl) the blueberries, brown sugar, tapioca, lime zest, lime juice and salt.
- Add to pie crusted pie plate
- Dot with butter replacement (optional)
- Put on bottom rack in the oven and bake for 30 minutes (crust should become golden).
I served this with a little bit of Lactaid Cookies and Cream Ice-cream...simply because I was feeling a little gluttonous.
So I would really love to hear how this turns out for everybody! I know the lime blueberry will be fun for you to try and maybe we can think up some ways to make it even better!
Also, random fact. This pie I guess helps relieve sore muscles so eating before or after an aggressive workout will benefit you (does that mean eating it BOTH before AND after would be even better? :-p haha)
Like on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lactarded
Follow on Twitter: @lac_tarded