- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (I thought this was super random so I didn't use the extra 2 just because I was a little lazy)
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 1 large onion (I used a sweet onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (admittedly I didn't use fresh)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (found in the spice section)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (which I just realized I never added)
- 2.5 cups water
- 2: 15 oz cans of black beans (rinsed)
- 1: 14oz can diced tomato
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (OMIT THIS! keep reading for why)
- 1.2lbs ground turkey (I added this...Jesse said meat made it more manly or something)
- Peel the sweet potato then dice (I would more cube in retrospect)
- Dice onion
- Add olive oil to pot (dutch oven) and warm on medium-high heat then add sweet potato and onion. Cook but stir often until onion starts to soften.
- Add in turkey.
- Add garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, chipotle chile, salt and cook. (It will smell delicious!)
- Pour in water and bring to a simmer then allow to cook until the sweet potato is tender
- Add the black beans and tomato, stir.
- Return Chili to a simmer and stir frequently until slightly reduced.
- DO NOT ADD CILANTRO...the original recipe would like you to add the cilantro here but do yourself a favor and don't. I started chopping it and got bored quickly so I only added about a 1/2 tablespoon and it was almost overbearing. It also canceled out a lot of the seasoning :(. Next time I do this I am not adding any cilantro and I think it will be super fabulous.
This came out decent. I liked it but the whole time I just wanted it to taste like it smelled before I added the cilantro. I would also think this would taste pretty darn good with a red meat instead of turkey but I was trying to be on the healthy side. All in all...it was good and warmed us up on this chilly night.
Probably what helped to warm me up was the hard cider from Angry Orchard we picked up, yum yum yummy! So now I'm blogging full, content and slightly buzzed. Time to pop in a movie, snuggle with Jesse and be excited to meet Evan tomorrow (brand new baby nephew, congrats Jenna + Mark!!!!!)