Source: Nigella Kitchen by Nigella Lawson
- 1 tablespoon garlic flavored oil (i use regular oil and added a tiny amount of garlic)
- 1 onion, peeled + chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green chiles, chopped with seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stalks
- 2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes (+1 2/3 cups water to rinse out cans + pour into sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- **I added 2lbs ground turkey**
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained + rinsed
- 3 1/4 cups drained canned corn, from about 1 1/2 (15oz cans)
- 2 1/2 cups Cabot cheddar cheese (I obviously chose this because it's lactose free :-p)
- 8 soft flour tortillas (approx 10in in diameter)
- baking dish (approx 10in in diameter and 2 1/4 inches deep)
- Preheat the oven to 400F (put a cookie sheet in too)
- For the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan (I used a wok) on the stove and fry the onion, bell pepper, chiles + ground turkey and cook until turkey is cooked through. Add the salt and cook gently for 15 minutes (till soft) and then add the chopped cilantro.
- Add the canned tomatoes then rinse the cans out with the water and add that as well. Add the ketchup and let it all come to a simmer. Leave the sauce to cook and prep the filling.
- For the filling:
- Mix the drained beans and canned corn in a bowl. Add most of the cheese (save some for the top) and mix it all together.
- Spread some of the sauce into the bottom of your dish and smear it so it covers the bottom. Layer on 2 tortillas so that they cross in the middle (like a venn diagram)
- Add some of the beans mixture over the tortillas and then add some more salsa...then top with another 2 tortillas.
- Repeat and repeat again...then add the final 2 tortillas.
- Lastly add the rest of the cheese on the top and a small amount of sauce (Otherwise the top tortillas get crispy and are difficult to cut)
- Bake for 30 mins
- Let sit for about 10 minutes